Allergen Free Recipes
Yummy breakfast pancakes
1 cup gluten free plain/ all – purpose flour
1 teaspoon egg replacer (Available at health food stores)
¼ cup caster sugar
1 cup rice milk
Dairy free margarine for cooking
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Add the rice milk to the dry ingredients, stirring thoroughly between additions.
- Melt a little margarine in a non – stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Pour a quarter of a cup of the batter into the frying pan and tilt the pan to spread the mixture. Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake.
- Turn the pancake over and cook the other side. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve with fruit, jam or sorbet.
Snack size Apple and cinnamon muffins
2 cups gluten – free self – raising flour
½ cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
90g dairy – free margarine, melted slightly
¾ cup rice milk
1 teaspoon egg replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons water
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tray and set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add the margarine, rice milk and egg replacer mixture.
- Stir until combined. Add the diced apple and mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups and cook for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve. These muffins are also able to be frozen.
Bite size fish cakes
1 small sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
425g can of tuna in brine, drained
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill
Salt and pepper to taste
Gluten – free breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the sweet potato in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring it to the boil and cook until soft. Drain and mash well.
- Combine the sweet potato, tuna, spring onions and dill in a bowl & season with salt and pepper.
- Shape a spoonful of the mixture into a patty and roll in crumbs to coat.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the patties until golden.
Sweet and sour chicken
2 tablespoons olive oil
500g chicken breast, trimmed of skin and visible skin
3 cups raw mixed vegetables
1 tablespoon chicken stock powder
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
½ cup crushed pineapple, drained
2 tablespoons of cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the meat and cook until brown.
- Add the mixed vegetables and continue cooking on medium heat until the meat is cooked.
- Add the chicken stock powder, water, vinegar, brown sugar and tomato sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed pineapple. Add the cornflour and water mixture and stir until boiling.
- Serve on a bed of rice.
Family favourite fruit crumble
4 cups cooked or tinned fruit (Apple, apricot, rhubarb, berries and peach or a combination all make a great crumble)
2 tablespoons dairy – free margarine
½ cup gluten free self – raising flour
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place the fruit in an oven proof baking dish.
- Rub the margarine into the flour in a small bowl until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add coconut, brown sugar and the oats, mixing well.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake for 25 minutes. This is great served with custard or coconut frozen yogurt.
*These recipes are from the cook book YUM! Top tips for feeding babies and kids with allergies. By Barbara Dennison, Fiona Wedding & Dr Preeti Joshi.